THE SECRETS OF THE BLEND
Roasting is a vital stage in creating a Nespresso Grand Cru coffee, as it reveals the full aromatic and flavour profile of the green coffee beans. Nespresso has developed a specific roasting profile for each blend, to bring out the unique properties of its origins.
• Correct roasting depends on finding the roasting time and temperature best suited to the entire blend, allowing the characteristics of each origin to be fully expressed.
• Poor roasting can ruin the finest Grand Cru coffees
• During roasting the green coffee bean dehydrates completely and its colour changes from green to ochre, then brown to almost black.
• With the heat, the coffee bean expands and the caffeine content increases.
• The acidity and body develop slowly and then diminish, while aromas reach their optimum quickly before decreasing.
• The bitterness develops continuously.
Nespresso uses the complex technique of split-roasting in some of its blends.
What is Split-Roasting?
Split-roasting consists of roasting each coffee origin separately to allow them to develop their full potential.
Although more difficult to carry out, this technique offers incomparable results.